Wednesday, April 11, 2012

goJoin! The Power of Community

Over the years, I’ve been involved in a few groups - the marching band in high school, Alpha Kappa Psi professional business fraternity in college…okay, that’s about it. Perhaps due in part to my reluctance to be in social situations, but I had/have a tendency to avoid groups and committing to groups. I’ve done myself an injustice.

Thankfully my husband, Brady, doesn’t have the same problem. When we started on our path to a fit lifestyle a few years back, he immediately sought out groups. We live in an area that doesn’t sustain any sort of fitness-oriented population - despite having so many fantastic places to be outside and be fit (one of the very bright spots about our location). Naturally, the place to reach out then was the internet. Brady joined bike groups through Meetup, read forums and found a community. He showed me the power of seeking out others who share your passion and interests. Through his groups, he was able to become a stronger rider in a way he likely could not have accomplished on his own.

Soon enough, I followed, joining his primarily road biking group who also had members interested in mountain biking. I’m not strong enough to ride on the road with them yet, but they are supportive in other aspects. And while I haven’t joined any specific running group (it’s a bit too inconvenient to drive 40-60 minutes to do a 60 minute run.), I have found community in other places. Twitter is full of people encouraging, supporting, offering advice. Reach out to friends on Facebook who share your interest. Attending events - bike races, running events, etc - is a fantastic way to get out and interact with groups of people who share your passion.

What I’ve found is that being part of a community, no matter what topic, keeps you motivated, helps you challenge yourself and grow, develops friendships and connections with people who get you (i.e. understand why you wake up at 4am on the weekends to do something crazy like run or bike for ridiculous amounts of time!). As a newbie, it’s invaluable. You never feel alone. The more you talk and share and connect with others, the more excited you become about your sport. The enthusiasm is infectious!

I wonder today what I may have missed in past years by not finding communities and groups. What skills could I have developed? What hobbies could I have become involved in? But that’s the past; I have only today and the future. So I’ll take note, learn my lesson, and not be afraid to goJoin!

No comments:

Post a Comment