Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Product Review: Brooks PureFlow

Product: Brooks PureFlow Running Shoes
Price: $90
Recommend? Yes

This past weekend, I purchased the Brooks PureFlow from the Brooks PureProject line. Originally, I went in thinking I would purchase the PureConnect, as I was hoping for a more minimalist shoe and a few runners I know recommended them. They simply had too much arch support and were too narrow for me. Also, I could immediately feel discomfort in my shins on the test run. They just weren’t going to be the shoe for me. So I checked out PureFlow instead.

Current Shoe: I’m a neutral runner who currently uses the Brooks Glycerin 9 and have loved them since day one. I’m on my second pair (first pair used for about 400 miles) and also highly recommend these shoes. But variety is the spice of life, yes?

Initial In-Store Thoughts: The test run up the street on the PureFlows made me feel like I was running on springy marshmallows! From the start, I loved the feel of these. I have a wider foot and these shoes accommodate that. They are breathable, flexible and lightweight, but provide enough cushioning for comfort. The Nav band is also nice to hug the mid portion of your foot. The toe has a slit, but I personally didn’t notice any particular benefit. While I advocate feel and function over looks, it just so happens these shoes have an appealing look with a nod to retro style. Technologically advanced running with style? Yes, please!

First Run: Last night I took them out for the first time and put 5 miles on them at about 85% effort. I felt light and agile. My foot seemed to fall in just the right place, naturally. And my body also responded by being more upright. I simply felt as though my whole body clicked into place. My legs felt fresh and comfortable throughout the run and after.  The only downside I have so far is partially my fault. I tried these on without my normal socks. I wear Experia sox with the Thorlo pads - thicker on the ball and heel. The store I purchased from didn’t have them and I forgot mine. So with a thicker sock, they were a little more snug than I prefer, but not uncomfortably so.

I’m anxious to see how much distance I can comfortably cover in these shoes. However, being that they have a shorter life (250-300 miles) compared with my Glycerin 9s, I’m tempted to save them for speed, tempo and races only - when shaving the weight can benefit me the most.

Do you have any of the PureProject products? What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment