Monday, March 26, 2012

Gasparilla 5K 2012 Recap


Gasparilla Distance Classic 5K

Location: Tampa, Florida
Date: Saturday, March 3rd, 2012
Participants: Total – 11,924; Men - 4,858; Women – 7,066


Gasparilla in Tampa brings to mind pirate ship invasions, kid’s parades, night parades, day parades, costumes, drinking and beads, lots of drinking and beads. But for thousands of runners, it also means it’s time to lace up and head out to Bayshore Blvd. for one of the area’s largest race weekends.

This year’s Gasparilla races included a 5K, 15K, 5+3K, and Half Marathon, as well as an Expo. To answer the nagging question now, the odd ball 5+3K is so named after the race sponsor, 5/3 Bank (Fifth Third Bank). While many runners pick just one event, the ambitious can take on one of three challenges where various combinations of races are run. The toughest challenge is the Michelob Ultra Challenge, requiring runners to finish all 4 races during the weekend.

On a whim, I decided to join some friends and participate in the 5K - my first Gasparilla race. Navigating downtown Tampa is always challenging for me, but luckily this time I was a passenger in a vehicle with prearranged parking - win! So we didn’t have a problem getting to the area.

Race registration is in the Tampa Convention Center, which is also the location of the race Expo. Upon entering from the ground floor, it’s not readily apparent where you’re supposed to go. The Convention Center is used for many activities and that I could see, at least two other events were taking place that day causing some confusion. Luckily, I read the race information (something I’m learning a lot of people just seem to skip over). The Expo was held upstairs, the East Hall if I recall correctly, and registration was at the back of the hall past the vendors.

Race day registration for me was cheap ($35), easy and fast. Bring cash to speed the process - I was able to skip lines where everyone else was paying with a credit card. In less than 10 minutes I was registered, paid and had my shirt and bib. My friends who preregistered had to wait in much longer lines (about 15-20 min) and then had to go to a separate line to get shirts. Also, make sure you get the right color bib for your corral - speak up if they hand you the wrong color (find the pace info for corrals in your packet). I was told that “they aren’t really paying attention to corrals”, but I assure you I was checked before entry. In the chaos of the streets however, some people did slip in to corrals they should not have been in.

Finding bag check was also difficult as it was not marked. Again, luckily I had read my packet to know it was “room 24”, however there was a massive line into one small door where people were both trying to drop off (5Kers) and pick up (15Kers) at the same time. Chaos. Eventually someone figured out that we could form two lines. Simple signs really could go a long way here.

Whether it be the large number of participants, the layout of the city streets or both, navigating your way to the start lines is quite difficult. A map is provided in the packet, but good luck interpreting it when you actually make it into the streets. I wasted time trying to get up to my corral not realizing I was actually in the last corral! Once I got out to the side area though, there are so many spectators in the way, you can hardly get through. My best advice, look for your color flag and use any means necessary to get there. Body surfing is acceptable.

The race route: The upside - it is beautiful scenery on the water. The downside - it’s an out-and-back, in the baking Florida sun. I’m from here, I run in the sun all summer long, but rarely for a full 3 mile stretch with no shade in sight. By mile 3, I was dying like a worm on hot asphalt - no PR here. Be prepared for heat and pace yourself accordingly. There is a water stop and a few sprinklers you can run through. I can’t imagine doing the challenge and having to run essentially this same route multiple times in two days - it would get boring fast. Once is enough.

After the race, you’re provided with as much bottled water as you can carry, bananas, energy shots, smoothies, fruit cups, and hot black bean soup (not sure who wanted this on a blistering FL day though…). You also have a free beer ticket on your bib that you can redeem at the after party on the water.

While I read via Twitter that the Expo was a madhouse on Friday night, Saturday afternoon (after I raced) it wasn’t very busy. I could fairly easily navigate to vendors where there were a lot of freebies and samples to be had!

So it sounds like this race was all together crazy. While not the most organized, it’s not impossible, you just need a little patience and to read your packet! I would definitely do it again, and here’s why: For only $35 bucks, it’s a fun day to get out and stretch your legs in the local community with a chip-timed race. You get a usable tech shirt, a really nice medal (I love good bling!), lots of freebies at the expo, and a beautiful day to goRun in the Florida sunshine!


No comments:

Post a Comment