Sunday, March 25, 2012

Monsters Take Over Downtown Winter Garden - RUN!

Ever heard or said, “I’d only run if someone was chasing me!”? Well kids, have I got the run for you! Rock On Adventures’ Monster Bash Dash will supply you with just that motivation. Not only will someone be chasing you…it’ll be monsters! The event is a 5K evening/night run where you’ll have to protect your “life” (flag football flags) to survive the monster-infested woods.

Yesterday, my husband and I had an awesome opportunity to be volunteers to help promote this unique event during the Bike Fest in beautiful and quaint downtown Winter Garden. After seeing the call for volunteers on Facebook, I asked Brady what he thought about spending our day made up like monsters and promoting the run. There were some nice perks offered, but as you might have guessed from some of my previous posts, dressing up in public with the intent of drawing attention to myself was a frightening proposition. Time to step out of the comfort zone! That’s what goBE is all about right? So we went.

Downtown Winter Garden appears to be a thriving main street atmosphere. Cafes, boutiques, bookstores, bike stores and more line the brick paver street. Clearly a family-friendly, dog-friendly, bike-friendly place – when can I move? A fountain and gazebo sit in the center median and there is also a small water feature area to the side where kids can play. Yesterday, along with the Bike Fest, the Saturday market was going on. So there were plenty of people to stare…uh, scare.

Rock On Adventures set up in front of the Tri & Run of West Orange store (Friendly staff here. Support local shops!). Kill to birds with one stone – I had a little time to test out some minimalist shoes I’ve been wanting and walked away with the Brooks PureFlow, yay! The fantastically talented, Nick Wolfe did all of the volunteers’ make up and then spent the day doing free face painting for kids (and some adults!). It was a total hit! Little monsters, and a few cute animals too, were running around all over town. Check out Evil Twin FX to have your mind blown by the body painting he does!

Walking through the market, we surely got some stares. I made one child cry on accident! Leave it to me – sheesh. Most people were very quite intrigued about the run being at night and particularly that monsters would be chasing them.

In all, it was a beautiful and fun day to be out promoting this event. I love that it’s a local group who is giving back to the local community. The event benefits their Y and Meals on Wheels. Brady and I had fun as monsters for the day and getting out of our comfort zone to goWild!

Come join us, Team Horrors d’oeuvres, on May 26th. Will you survive?*

*Note: this is a perfect training opportunity for survival skills needed in the coming zombie apocalypse.




No comments:

Post a Comment