Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Rejuvenate the spirit - goEasy

Early Sunday morning I was awakened by my husband who was getting ready for his usual Sunday road biking ride. This is my cue to get up and goRun. My eyelids were heavy and puffy, and I think I may actually have groaned that stereotypical zombie groan from the movies. I was tired. So I pulled the covers up, snuggled with my dog and drifted back to sleep. After all, I’ve read a lot about sleep being just as important or more so when training. So yeah, let’s call this “training”.

But the sleep was fitful as my mind churned over my decision. I hadn’t run the day before, unless you count up and down the sidewalk testing new shoes. Today was my only chance to get in a long run; 10-11 miles were on the schedule. Begrudgingly, I got up to start my morning routine. All the while, thinking how I just didn’t have this in me today. Wondering if this would be the day that I push myself, break, and begin to hate running. Speculating that I would probably go out there and cut it short anyway, so I should probably not bother going in the first place. Fearing I was losing my resolve with a half marathon looming on the horizon. It was too late in the day. It was getting too hot. I would have to leave the house in a shambles. I wasn’t going to be able to knock this out of the park, so just give up now. The excuses flowed like hot syrup. And yet I went out of guilt; because I’m stubborn even with myself; because I wanted to be able to look myself in the mirror later; because it’s just my routine now.

As I drove, I realized how ridiculous I was being. Why was I being so hard on myself? I believe there is a time to push yourself and test your limits. If you don’t, you’ll not improve. But as a newbie runner, I think there is a trap of feeling like every run has to be faster, father, better. That notion is often reinforced by the leaps and bounds that are possible in the beginning months.  It leaves me feeling as though lack of improvement at every step is failure. That’s a bit dramatic, no?

I read a lot about running, soaking up every morsel of information I can find to help me grow in the sport. There is a wealth of information about the importance of having easy days. Every training plan incorporates them. But I rarely, if ever actually do it - the real definition of an easy run “at a conversational pace”. But the physical benefits aside, maybe the mind needs an easy day. Perhaps I should give it a go.

So I gave myself permission to go out and just enjoy my run no matter what that meant - slow, short, walk breaks - just goRun. And no matter what my Garmin told me, I was going to be proud of myself. Proud of all I have accomplished so far. Proud that I wasn’t sitting on the couch. Proud to be making steps towards a healthier, happier me.

It ended up being the best run I’ve had in a while. Why? Because I enjoyed every minute of it. I sang along with my music. I planned my blogs. I reflected on what running meant to me. I marveled at the shady, grown-over havens on the trail; felt the sun’s warmth on my skin; appreciated the solitude. My run ended up being 14.5 miles, my longest to date.

Those miles, those slow and easy miles, rejuvenated my spirit. So go out and be proud of your efforts. Listen to your body and mind and don’t be afraid to sometimes just goEasy.

1 comment:

  1. I need to take a prescription of what you've written...found lately like ive lost focus on enjoying the process..only looking at some intangible end and being frustrated I am not there..*now!
    I'm going out for a easy sing out loud ride this afternoon..

    ReplyDelete